Saturday, June 11, 2011

IT'S NOT CHEESY, IT'S BRITISH (Or: "Jekyll" Kicks Ass)

Okay, until I get out to the movies tonight to see Incendies, as I posted about earlier, I have to give a brief but enthusiastic recommendation to anyone interested in anything remotely quirky/supernatural/sci-fi-esque with literary references and homages.

Jekyll, a 2007 series now on DVD, of which I've just watched the first 3 of 6 episodes while on the treadmill (let me tell ya, Netflix is the greatest thing to happen to my running routine since, like... ever), is a great spin on the classic tale.  Refashioned as a contemporary drama rooted in reality, its protagonist is tied in compelling ways to the hero of the original novel.  It manages to tie the book to the series in a way that is smart and unexpected.  Probably because it's done by Brits.  There is none of the cheese factor I expected, which is owing to excellent acting by James Nesbitt and his supporting cast (which includes Michelle Ryan, who briefly played over here in America in NBC's short-lived Bionic Woman redux), as well as great writing and direction.  Occasionally, the music verges on "Scary B Movie" parody territory, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming that was intentional.  Not sure it was the wisest move... but at this point, it's the only weak link I've found in the entire enterprise.

Give it a shot.  If you're into this kind of genre, you won't be disappointed. 
 


No comments: