Thursday, May 26, 2011

COMING SOON: BEING HUMAN IS OVERRATED, BUT THE BBC SERIES ISN'T.

So a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost walk into a bar...

If that sounds like the beginning of a joke, it's not.  It's actually something that could happen in an episode of Being Human, the BBC series I've been Netflixing the hell out of in my endeavors to keep myself entertained while on the treadmill.  

In my next post, I'll give you a quick breakdown of the series (starring Aidan Turner, Russell Tovey and Lenora Crichlow) that, so far into the first season (where I currently am), has managed to bring some new life into yet another story about the undead.

Though it may not reinvent the genre, it manages to sweetly, intelligently, humorously and often movingly bring some refreshing perspectives by having a vampire and his werewolf pal rent a flat together that's haunted by a ghost.  Blood is spilled, myths are shattered, questions of mortality (and immortality) are raised, and intriguing  dynamics ensue as three former humans ponder the essence of their humanity once they no longer have it.

No comments: